Have you ever heard of “Writers Block”? It mostly points towards songwriters and rappers who have a hard time attempting to compose new lyrics for a new song. They suffered a short-term loss in creativity to compose lyrics and they can’t seem to find enough inspiration to help write a new song. Producers-Block is very similar, but it applies to music producers when they lack creativity in making a beat. No matter what a producer does when hitting the keys and browsing through sound banks on the computer, they can’t seem to get a melody right or they're just not feeling the beat. Does this occasionally apply to you?
- Take a break from producing for at least one week in order for your brain to gather together its creativity.
- Free your mind and listen to a wide range of Genres like Jazz, Classical, Dance, Rock N’ Roll, Metal and even Opera. Try to listen to different genres instead of the same music, over and over again.
- If you use a Midi Keyboard (which I recommend), open up your software and play around with all the different sounds. A melody you come out with will spark that creativity.
- Don’t force yourself to make a beat as it will cause things to get much worse and more depressing for you. Even the human brain has a limit so don’t overwhelm yourself.
- Communicate with more producers online. Start networking and be receptive to feedback. The information they offer can help you to improve your music and it can also give you a boost.
- Get straight into your favourite zone. Start off with what part of the music you are best at producing for example, if you are better at creating a drum beat then start there, or if you are better at creating the bass first then go ahead!
- Don’t delete your current project. Just because you can’t seem to add more flavour to the beat, then save it and come back to it in the future. Never delete a project because if you look back at it later then you will start feeling the tune much better.
Daniel J. Hill
Follow | Like | Subscribe